2013/04/14

How to say "my" and "your" in Polish. Why we need 3 forms?



Talking about things or persons belonging to us is a really nice thing, isn’t it? We can talk about that for hours. We keep on talking even if people who are listening to us get bored quickly.
 Let’s try to talk about that in Polish!
 At first look it seems to be a bit complicated because the word “my” has 3 basic forms in Polish. The same is with a word “your” (singular).  “My” can be translated as mój, moja or moje in Polish. “Your” can be translated as twój, twoja or twoje into Polish. A right choice of a right form among these 3 forms depends on the gender of a noun which follows the word "my" or "your".

If I‘m talking about a masculine noun I should say:  “mój X”. If I am talking about a feminine noun I should use “moja X”. And if I am talking about a neuter noun I should say “moje X”, of course. The same rule concerns a word:  “your” (only singular!): twój for masculine nouns, twoja for feminine nouns and twoje for neuter nouns. This rule works similar to the rule of using 3 different forms of adjectives, which describe masculine, feminine and neuter Polish nouns.

Let's look at an example (a picture below):

1. A word "komputer" (compter) is a masculine noun (m.), so we should say: "mój komputer" (my computer) and "twój komputer" (your computer).
2. A word "okno" (window) is a neuter noun (n.), so we should say: "moje okno" (my window) and "twoje okno" (your window).
3. A word "torebka" (handbag) is a feminine noun (f.), so we need to say: "moja torebka" (my handbag) and "twoja torebka" (your handbag).


Here is an audio recordnig with the following text:

Mój, moje, moja. (my /m., my/n., my/f.). 
Twój, twoje, twoja (your/m., your/n., our/f.). 
Mój komputer, twój komputer (my computer, your computer). 
Moje okno, twoje okno. (my window, your window). 
Moja torebka, twoja torebka (my handbag, your handbag).




Let's look at some examples in funny comics below! First read a list of new words: 
“My” and “your” followed by masculine nouns (used in comics below)
mój mąż (m.), twój mąż; my husband, your husband
mój syn (m.), twój  syn my son, your son
mój pies (m.) twój pies my dog, your dog
mój raport (m.) twój raport my report, your report
mój samochód (m.) twój samochod,  my car, your car
mój szef (m.), twój szef,  my boss, your boss (only about a boss who is a man)
“My” and “your” followed by feminine nouns (used in comics below)
moja żona (f.), twoja żona,  my wife, your wife
moja córka (f.), twoja córka, my daughter your daughter
moja szefowa (f.), twoja szefowa,  my boss your boss (only about a  woman)
moja sekretarka  (f.) ,twoja sekretarka , my secretary , your secretary (only about a woman)
moja sukienka  (f.) twoja sukienka,  my dress, your dress
“My” and “your” followed by neuter nouns (used in the comics below)
moje biuro (n.),  twoje biuro,  my office, your office
moje zdanie (n.), twoje zdanie,  my opinion, your opinion
moje mieszkanie (n.),  twoje mieszkanie,  my flat (apartment), your flat moje okno (n.), twoje okno, my window, your window
(m.) – means: masculine noun (they end mostly with a consonant)
(f.) – means: feminine noun (they end mostly with a letter –a)
(n.) – means: neuter noun (they end mostly with a letter – o or –e)
Here is an audio recording with the words above (Polish native speaker voice):





 Let's look at some situations in the pictures below:


 Picture 1a -To jest moja rodzina: mój mąż, moja córka, mój syn... -This is my family: my husband, my daughter, my son... -     ...     i twój pies! - ... and your dog! Picture 1b - Widzisz, co robi twój syn?! - Can you see what your son is doing?! - To nie jest mój syn, ale twój syn! This is not my son, but your son!
Here is an audio recording with dialogues in picture 1 (Polish native speaker voice):




2. Another situation. Do you remember a couple who met on the stormy day? No? That was here: http://goo.gl/zl8Ls


Picture 2a 
- To jest moje nowe biuro, kotku!
This is my new office, honey! (or: "baby", literally: "kitten")
- Super! A jaka jest twoja szefowa?
Cool! (great, super!). And what is your boss (woman) like?
Picture 2b
- Gdzie jest twój raport?!
Where is your report?
- Mój raport? Eee…jest prawie gotowy.
My report? Er... It's almost ready.
Here is an audio recording with dialogues in picture 2 (Polish native speaker voice):




 3. The last example. Why people dont't want to listen to us? That's a question!


Picture 3a
- …mój samochód... moja sekretarka.... moja zdanie.
...my car, my secretary (woman), my opinion...
 - Zawsze tylko: mój, moja, moje.
Always only:  my (m.),  my (f.), my (n.)
Picture 3b
- …mój szef… moje mieszkanie... moja sukienka…
...my boss, my flat (apartment), my dress...
- O nie – znowu!   Oh no - again!
Here is a recording with dialogues in picture 3 (Polish native speaker voice):



A little remark about the pronunciation:
Remember that  letters  “ó”  and “u”  (mój,  biuro) have a different spelling , but  they represent the same sound in Polish.  We pronounce both of them as “u” (like “u” in an English word "push"). Compare with the recordings.
We don’t have any special words like English: “mine” and “yours” in Polish. The words: "mój", "moja", "moje" and "twój", "twoja", "twoje" are used also to replace English: mine and yours. And remember: "twój", "twoja", "twoje" means "your" only in the singular. Polish language has a different word (with its 3 forms) for "your" in the plural: "wasz", "wasza", "wasze".

7 comments:

  1. Séamus Fleming7/26/2013

    To Jest fantastyczne. Bardzo pomocna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo!

      Delete
    2. The recordings are available again.

      Delete
  2. Hi
    Hi, what a great web blog. I usually spend hours on the net reading blogs on various subjects. And, I really would like to praise you for writing such a fabulous article

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is soooo hard to learn how to read Polish words, which is really interesting for me, as I teach children to read in English, but many of my pupils have Polish as their first language. No wonder they find it hard to pronounce some English words!

    Your cartoons and explanations are really very helpful for me. Dziekuje! (no accents, sorry) This morning three of the five year olds taught me how to count to six in Polish. :) (But number 3 is really hard!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much for a such encouraging words!

    Number 3 in Polish is "trzy"
    How to pronounce it:
    t = like English "t"
    rz = like English "sh" ("she")
    y = like "e" in an English word "roses"

    ReplyDelete
  5. djiękuję - that's helpful! (I found somewhere to type Polish characters online.)

    Now I just have to get my tongue round all those shushing sounds!

    I have just watched a very old beginners Polish video on youtube - and was amazed to find that I am already beginning to recognise quite a few words, which was really encouraging.

    ReplyDelete